Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Playing catch up and a recipe

It's been a while since my last update. 
And my only excuse is that I've started watching a new show on Netflix and that has taken priority. I wish there were another, less sad excuse for the neglect, but alas there is not. 
Once I get hooked on a show, I can't stop. I
'm sure everyone else can relate?

The end of September was pretty uneventful. 
Our only major happening was taking Ev to see Disney on Ice. It started off magical. 
There was loud music, hundreds of little kids beaming with joy, Disney memorabilia every where and workers trying to get you to spend every penny you have saved in your bank account on overly priced light up toys and cups. 
But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a sucker for all of that. 
If it wasn't for Conryd being with us, you better believe we would have walked out there will every piece of junk they were selling. 
Evan didn't last for the whole thing. And to be honest, I felt it was a bit long and dare I say...boring. The opening scene was fun. 
It was Cars, which is Ev's favorite, and it was then followed by The Little Mermaid. Which was totally adorable and captivating.
But after that, I felt it went downhill. It was slow and dragged on and I didn't care too much for it. And neither did my husband or Evan so we left about 15 minutes after the intermission. 
We must be the only human beings on the face of the planet that has ever left a Disney event early for being bored. 
Shame on us, right?
And I don't mean to brag, but I think my child is ridiculously good looking.

Then October 1st happened.
 October has got be one of, if not THE best month of the year! 
I get so excited for this month to come around.
 If you're not living in the sweltering humidity and heat of Florida, it marks the beginning of cooler temps, in most places. 
It's when the leaves really start to change colors, in most places.
 It's when you get to wear adorable outfits, in most places. 
It's acceptable to eat everything pumpkin spice related!
And it's the beginning of the best time of the year!
Surprisingly enough, October has brought some nice weather to our area. We've had some crazy storms and it's rained most days. That is obviously nothing new, but with the rain storms comes clouds and wind. And that makes it wonderful to be outdoors in.

Another thing I love about fall is the nail polish colors. 
Does anyone else get excited about this? 
I feel like these rich, dark colors go better with my skin tone, than the bright neon's of summer color, not that I don't still love them.
 I attempted to give myself a gold tipped manicure, but by my third mess-up I gave up...mostly. 
This was my finished product. I'll try again another time.
I also felt the need to document this. 
As a baby, Evan was not much of a cuddler. We would maybe get a 2 second hug or head rest on the shoulder, but nothing more than that.
 Now that Ev's getting older, he will actually come up to me and say "mom, I cud (cuddle) you?" 
He will then climb on me and cuddle with me for sometimes up to 5 minuets! 
Its magical, and one of my most favorite things in world.
He also asks to take pictures of me, and I agree if only he can be in them with me.
The other day, we were stuck inside all day and started to get bored. 
I was feeling a little guilty for letting my child watch hours of Curious George so I decided that I'd start teaching him some gymnastics. 
I taught him how to stretch and "warm up." 
I then showed him how to handstands up against the wall and how to do bridges, back bends and kick overs. 
Obviously I did all of the work for him because he's just a little guy and has no strength to hold himself up. 
But it was still fun and he LOVED IT. It kept us occupied for all of 15 minutes...
And with the slightly bearable temperatures outside, it has really put me in the mood to actually cook and enjoy it. 
The other night for dinner I made (almost from scratch) chicken pot pie. 
And it was delicious. 
It's one of our favorites.
 I've always been afraid to make one for some reason, but now that I have, I won't stop. It was actually pretty easy to make and doesn't take too much time either. 
I'll share my recipe below because I know I'm going to need it again.
Ingredients
Serves 6-8, 1 9 x 13 dish

1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
6 TBS butter
6 TBS flour
2 1/2 cup chicken stock
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup half and half
2-3 large potatoes, diced
1 1/2 cups frozen or fresh, peas and carrots
1 tsp onion powder (or 1 whole onion, diced)
salt and pepper to taste
2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed according to directions
1 egg + 1 TBS water

Preheat oven to 425
In a large pot, melt your butter. Add your diced potatoes and cook for about 10 min (until fork tender) stirring occasionally. If you are using a fresh onion instead of onion powder, cook your onions with the potatoes. Add 1/2 cup of chicken broth and cook for about 2 minutes. Next, stir in your flour and cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly. Slowly add in the remaining 2 cups of chicken stock, along with your milk and half/half. Bring to a simmer to thicken, about 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly.  Once it has thickened, toss in your peas, carrots, and shredded chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Let it simmer together for about 5 minutes. If your mixture is too thick, add a splash of milk until you reach your desired consistency.

While your mixture is simmering, grease a 9 x 13 dish. Lay one layer of the thawed puff pastry on the bottom of the dish. Carefully stretch it out so it covers the bottom completely. Evenly ladle in your chicken mixture. Carefully stretch your second sheet of puff pastry, and lay it on top. Then cut or poke a few vent holes. In a small bowl, whisk together your egg and TBS of water. Brush the egg wash on the top layer of puff pastry (you won't use all of it). Bake until puff pastry is a deep golden brown and filling is bubbling, 20-30minutes.


Well, that is all of my catching up for now. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment