Saturday, June 7, 2014

Hub's traditional birthday



It was the hubby's birthday the end of May and I wanted to try to make this day stand out from the rest. I knew that he wouldn't care whether I did something huge, or did nothing at all. But it's not in me to not do something! He always says, "no gifts," for every holiday and every occasion. And ask me how many times I've actually listened. None would be the correct answer. I always try to surprise him with something, but it's not always something big. Most of the time it's just his favorite chocolate bar, or a bottle of Dr. Pepper. Not the generic kind though, I try to keep things classy around here ;)




Growing up, his birthday tradition was his favorite pasta for dinner followed by peppermint fridge cake for dessert. 
For most of us USA-ers,  peppermint fridge cake rings no bells. As far as I know, it's a South African only known dessert. 
Side note: for those of you who don't know, my husband is South African. 
We only make this cake once, maybe twice a year. And It's usually during the holiday season. But the husband specifically asked for this cake for his birthday, so the birthday boy got what he wanted. I have to admit, I was little disappointed he didn't want my chocolate cake. For selfish reasons though...because that's what I wanted.

So what exactly makes this peppermint fridge cake? Well, let me tell you. It's probably the easiest thing you'll ever make. 
It's only 4 ingredients and probably takes 10 min at most to make to put together. It's made with layers of graham crackers and a dulce de leche whipped cream, and then topped with mint chocolate bits. Then it sits in the fridge for a minimum of 5 hours so the layers can mesh together and create this deliciously rich, caramel-y cake.

I had a few friends ask for the recipe, so I'm here today to FINALLY share it with you. I hope you enjoy! I also decided to give it a second name.

No- bake Dulce De Leche cake (Peppermint fridge cake)

2 cans dulce de leche (usually found near the evaporated milk)
2 pints whipping cream (not half and half)
1 box of original graham crackers
1 bag of pre-chopped Andes mints or 1 box of wrapped Andes mints, chopped

In a large bowl and using an electric mixer, dump out both cans of dulce de leche. Turn your mixture on to medium speed and slowly start pouring in your cream. Once all of your cream is added, continue to whip on medium/high speed until firm peeks form. Once you have peeks, whip for 30 seconds more. Set whipped mixture to the side. In an 8 x 8 dish, place a layer of graham crackers on the bottom. It needs to (mostly) cover the whole bottom. There will be small little gaps, and that's fine.  Next, carefully pour about 2-3 cups of your whipped dulce de leche on top of the graham crackers. Slowly spread it out, covering all of the graham crackers. Now do another of graham crackers and another layer of dulce de leche. Continue those 2 steps until you've reached the top of your pan, but make sure your last layer is the dulce de leche mixture. You should have about 3-4 layers of graham crackers. Lastly, sprinkle your Andes mints over the top. Cover with plastic wrap or foil, and place in the fridge for at least 5 hours. You want your graham crackers to become soft, almost mimicking cake texture. When you're ready to eat, carefully cut into squares and serve. 

If you have any questions, please ask. I'd love to help!



No comments:

Post a Comment